Posted June 14, 2011
Nail biting is so common especially among children. It can cause unpleasant and expensive dental issues.
- Front teeth can chip, get worn down, or get cracked which in turn will need bonding, veneers, or crowns.
- the normal bacteria in the mouth can infect the nail bed and can reach the blood which can be life threatening in immune compromised patients, or weak patients.
- braces wearers can cause too much pressure on the root which in turn can cause shortening to the roots. This shortening of the roots can compromise the longevity of the teeth in the mouth.
- Nail biting can permanently affect nail growth and cause deformed nails.
Solutions to nail biting:
- Professionally take care of the nails, trim them, file them, or wear a nail polish.
- paint a bitter-tasting liquid and keep re-applying it every time the hands get rinsed or washed.
- pick up another habit like squeezing a ball, playing with silly putty, playing with an elastic band.